You may remember back in May I introduced you to the new-to-me console for my living room that I bought on Craigslist. After it’s introduction I worked on it pretty steadily, and it began its new life as my media console in July.
Here’s how it started:
Here is the little piece of missing trim around the front:
Here is the damaged piece of veneer on one side:
And here it is, in all its refinished glory:
Yup, those are wood chopsticks. I had been planning on using wood dowels, but they were just a wee bit too thin. I always have wood chopsticks around because I use them to stir small cans of paint and varnish. The chopsticks were the perfect size – I just cut them down and attached them with wood glue. After staining they’re not a perfect match as they’re a different type of wood, but from a distance it’s not really noticeable.
The damaged veneer has been fixed as well. I replaced the entire section which was a little bit of an adventure. I definitely learned some things. Here too it’s not a perfect repair, but given it’s location on the piece I’m not at all concerned.
One other thing I did was build a shelf for the inside. I knew there was originally a shelf inside, but when I bought it there were only the supports remaining the shelf was removed at some point. I carefully measured the inside of the cabinet and then had Home Depot cut down a piece of plywood to fit.
I then used the walnut edge banding left over from my dresser project to finish the visible edge of the shelf.